Monday, May 19, 2008

Share Day!

Week Number Three
Day Number One
Hours Worked: 10:00 - 2:45 (Total: 4 Hours 45 Minutes)

Here is a summary of what Share Day is, the students choose two workshops to be a part of, it could be either at the school or away from school. You could do workshops like painting flower pots and planting flowers, to digital recording!

Today was the much anticipated Share Day! I was really excited walking into the school because I was going to be working with the kindergartner's! It was nice to be working with a different age group because I was able to achieve one of my goals with out Ms. Wallace organizing it!

When I walked into the kindergarten room, they were sewing together felt puppets. I sat down on a table that came up to my shins, so it was a little painful, but I would cut out anything from the felt that the kids wanted. I cut out objects from simple eyes, nose, and mouth, and then I cut some crazy things like little ruffles for their puppets sleeves, and some of them even wanted CROWNS! I got to work with some of the faculty's children too! I worked with the youngest from the Walsh family, and I worked with Swaze's daughter HANNAH! She even drew me a very pretty picture!

After the morning group was finished, I stopped by Ms. Wallace's workshop and she was conducting camp songs. I knew none of them since I did not go to an overnight summer camp, but I did learn something about myself, that I actually have some what of a voice! :)

Then it was time for an afternoon of music! Keith Barrett's band the Longtail Monkey's played three songs, including Free Fallin' by Tom Petty. It was so amazing to watch kids at such a young age play the keyboard, drums, bass, and guitar so well! Then it was time for the main performance. THE RECYCLED PERCUSSION! They were really really good, they do not play on actual drums, they play on trash cans and recycled products! It was really cool to be able to watch this concert with the kids because I was able to be with them again in an atmosphere that is not a classroom.

No comments: