Friday, May 23, 2008

Last Day: Bittersweet memories!

Week Number Three
Day Number Five
Hours Worked: 10:15 - 3:00 (total: 4 hours 45 minutes)

Today was my last day of Senior Project and it was very depressing that I would not be coming back to work with these wonderful kids again. Walking into Ms. Wallace's classroom this morning the door between Ms. Wallace's and Mr. Hubbard's room was open, music was playing in each room, paper and scissors were all over the floor, I knew that they were putting the pages of their field guide of common tide pool creatures together, and they were! I walked around for a little bit to see the progression of each book from the kids, and then I helped some of them with a lot of gutting and gluing. I would also help them label pictures of the creatures so that they would know the body part of each one when they saw the creature in real life! During recess Ms. Wallace gave me some tips about what to do before becoming a full time teacher. She said to student teach a lot throughout college and she said to substitute any chance I could get. She also gave me some ideas about what to do during the summer that would involve little kids or involve me teaching. She said to be a camp counselor or and/or tutor elementary school kids or work at a summer school. Then we went into the faculty room and laminated all the students pages from their field guide and cut cut cut cut cut! The students only had half of their special because they had a performance to go to. The performance involved little parts from multiple pages of Shakespeare! I missed some of it because I helped put together the booklets, but when I saw the last part of the performance it was really fun, they even picked volunteers from the audience which was the highlight of the performance!

I am going to go back to the school on Wednesday because Ms. Wallace told me that some of the students did not remember that today was my last day, so I am going to go and visit to say my last goodbye to the kids!

No comments: